Thursday 23 January 2020

Gardai probe how Halloween costume caught fire in club

(Stock photo)
(Stock photo)
Gardai keep an eye on around a bonfire in Dorset St
Chanice Mulready and William Mulready, enjoying the Other World Halloween Festival in Ballymun, in the capital
A damaged car at Cherry Orchard Cresent. Photo: Ray Cullen
Bonfire remains at Cherry Orchard. Photo: Ray Cullen

Niall O'Connor

A MAN in his 20s who was dressed as a sheep is in a critical condition with serious burns following an incident-filled Halloween night.

The man in his early 20s was seriously injured after his Halloween costume - understood to have been a sheep - caught fire in a nightclub in Galway.

He was rushed to Galway University Hospital where he is currently in a critical condition.

Gardai have launched an investigation into the incident.

The man was enjoying a night out with friends in Halo Nightclub, on Abbeygate Street, Galway, when he caught fire just after midnight. It is understood the young man had a sheep costume on, possibly partly made of cotton wool and adhesive.

Ambulance services were called to the scene and the man was transferred to University College Hospital Galway for treatment.

Gardai did not attend the scene but were notified of the incident after the man was hospitalised.

His condition has been described as critical and he remains in hospital this morning.

The cause of the fire is not yet known.

A statement from the nightclub said: “A young man was taken from Halo Nightclub to University Hospital Galway last night after his Halloween costume caught fire. It is understood that he is in a critical condition. The cause of the incident is currently being investigated by gardai.”

Meanwhile, emergency services responded to hundreds of callouts in Dublin and the greater Leinster region.

A 12-year-old boy was recovering in hospital today after being struck by a firework rocket in an estate in Tallaght.

He suffered second degree burns to his face, neck and arms in an incident that has shocked locals.

The incident took place in a Deepark estate last night.

In a separate incident, a 26-year-old woman was rushed to Tallaght Hospital after an “out-of-control” bonfire exploded, sources said.

Overall, Dublin City Ambulance Service said today that said it received close to 1,100 calls and responded to over 350 incidents.

A number of ambulances and fire engines were attacked with stones and bottles as their crew attempted to deal with emergencies in the capital.

The fire service also said an "ambush" was set up in the Spencer Dock area of north inner city Dublin in which emergency services were called to the scene and attacked when they arrived.

Two Dublin bus routes had to be curtailed early yesterday evening as a result of Halloween-related anti-social behaviour in the north of the city.

The two routes, 13 and 122 were diverted following an incident in Finglas, which a Dublin Bus spokesman said was resolved within an hour.

A number of cars were burnt out and crew were forced to avoid several areas of the city due to extreme safety concerns.

Meanwhile, a massive clean-up was under way this morning as Halloween revelries left streets and suburbs strewn with party and bonfire litter.

After one of the wildest nights of the year, councils will spend millions on clearing the debris and refuse left behind by bonfires and acts of vandalism.

In Dublin alone, the clean-up bill was expected to top €750,000, with around 500 staff from Dublin Fire Brigade, waste management services, parks, housing and local area offices involved.

Casualties that resulted from drunken behaviour and high jinks left fire and emergency services scrambling to keep up with call-outs.


In Cork, Galway and Limerick fire services and hospital accident and emergency departments were stretched to the limit dealing with bonfire-related emergencies throughout the night.

Ambulances were also on high alert around the country as reports of accidents from the use of fireworks were rushing through the emergency lines.

Fire crews and gardai had a full complement of staff frantically responding to bonfire calls across the country into the early hours of the morning.

A spokesman said the brigade was "inundated" with incidents but most were routine call-outs involving young people with minor burns, cuts and sprains.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News