Wednesday 21 March 2018

Gardai investigate death threats made to ESB union boss Brendan Ogle

Ogle confirms that threats were made on his life and against his family

ESB Group of Unions general secretary Brendan Ogle
ESB Group of Unions general secretary Brendan Ogle

ESB unions boss Brendan Ogle has confirmed he received death threats during the dispute with the ESB.

Threats of a “serious nature” were also made against his family, Mr Ogle said while speaking on RTE’s Today With Sean O’Rourke.

The threats were taken seriously, and were a factor as to why negotiations between the ESB and the unions took place at undisclosed locations.

Mr Ogle was RTE Radio this morning, less than 24 hours after a deal was struck between the ESB and the unions.

The Secretary of the ESB Group of Unions said there was no danger of a strike happening, despite a row erupting between the ESB and the unions hours after the deal was struck.

After this he was questioned about the death threats.

The story about the threats made to Mr Ogle’s life was first broken by the Sunday Independent over the weekend.

“Unfortunately people have been whipped up by this. Threats of a serious nature have been made against me and my family and these are being investigated by the gardai and I don’t want to say much more about it,” he told Sean O’Rourke.

When the broadcaster asked if it was a threat to his life, he replied “yes”.

The unions boss said the threats were made a week ago and that gardai were treating them seriously.

He also said the death threats were “a factor” in the talks between the ESB and union officials taking place at undisclosed locations.

He confirmed that last week’s talks took place in Mullingar, while yesterday’s talks were held in Naas.

Jane Last

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News