Friday 25 May 2018

Gardai in stand-off at house over 'gun' claims

Cashel Road stand-off with gardai
Cashel Road stand-off with gardai
Cashel Road stand-off with gardai

Ken Foy

Armed officers from the Garda Emergency Response Unit rushed to the scene of a stand-off at a house in the capital yesterday, after receiving reports that an occupant was armed with a gun.

The drama unfolded at the house on Cashel Road in Crumlin shortly after 3pm, when officers from Kevin Street Garda Station went to the property to arrest an occupant.


The man in his 20s was due to be arrested for alleged breach of his bail conditions, in relation to three robbery charges that he is facing concerning alleged crimes in the south inner-city.

However, when gardai arrived at the property the man allegedly claimed that he had a gun and ran up to the attic of the house.

Sources said that when he was in the attic he attempted to kick his way out of it into an adjoining property and was in a very agitated state.

The Emergency Response Unit was called to the scene when officers saw what they thought was the suspect pointing a gun at them from the attic of the house.

A stand-off ensued which led the gardai to contact the Army Bomb Disposal Unit, who were placed on standby in case the situation escalated.

Meanwhile, a trained garda negotiator arrived at the scene and spoke to the man for a number of minutes as more officers rushed to the area.

It is understood that the man consistently refused to give himself up before suddenly surrendering to officers. He was then arrested.

It emerged that the suspected firearm brandished by the man was in fact a bicycle pump.

The man was brought to Kevin Street Garda Station, where he was being questioned last night.

No one was injured in the incident, which came to a conclusion shortly before 5pm. A follow-up search of the house did not yield any firearms.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News