TWENTY people appeared in court last night charged with public order offences after the clashes in Dublin surrounding the Queen's visit. People ranging in age from 18 upwards with addresses in the city and county appeared at a special sitting of Cloverhill District Court.
The three hour sitting saw the mostly male group remanded in custody with consent to bail provided they could post a surety of e300, to dates in late May. As a condition of thheir bail they were barred from various areas in Dublin city centre where the Queen will be making appearances .
Meanwhile Gardai expect to make further arrests after the three-hour confrontation with thugs at a demonstration organised against the queen's visit yesterday.
A barrage of bottles, bricks, planks, fireworks and even bicycles was thrown at a line of gardai blocking their attempts to get close to the Garden of Rem-embrance in Dublin city centre during the queen's visit there. Gardai said last night they expected to make further arrests as many of those involved in the violence have been identified on camera footage and by individual gardai on duty in the city centre.
A small number of demonstrators suffered minor injuries after they were struck by missiles fired by other protesters. The violence followed a spate of hoax bomb calls and security alerts throughout the day.
The most serious call-out involved a viable pipe bomb, which was left in the luggage compartment of a private bus hired out to Bus Eireann.
The coach was travelling from Ballina to Dublin, collecting passengers en route on Monday night, when garda in Longford were warned that an incendiary device had been planted among the luggage.
Gardai intercepted the bus near the Glenroyal Hotel in Maynooth, Co Kildare. The 30 passengers were evacuated from the coach and transferred to another bus for the rest of their journey to the capital.
Officers called in an Army bomb disposal unit, who dealt with the device through a controlled explosion. The device, which was a pipe bomb with attachments, was described as viable but not primed.
A total of 11 security alerts were raised in less than 24 hours with a hoax package causing disruption to Luas services when it was found on the line at the Blackhorse stop in Inchicore yesterday morning.
Later, an Army bomb disposal team was called to Blessington Street in the north inner city about 8.30pm last night to deal with another suspect device. It is understood it was a home-made handgun apparently found under rubbish on the street. The army gave the all clear about 10pm.
The violence erupted yesterday afternoon when gardai held back groups, who had been attending demonstrations organised by Eirigi, Republican Sinn Fein and the 32 County Sovereignty Movement.
The demonstrators were joined by thugs who had brought a large supply of fireworks and bottles and found further ammunition on nearby building sites.
About 100 took part in the confrontation.
As the missiles rained down on the gardai manning the barriers, members of the garda public order unit took up position and stood firm for more than an hour, despite the constant attacks.
The gardai then pushed the thugs back up Dorset Street towards the junction with Temple Street.
Gardai said the heavy deployment of personnel had ensured that the violence could be contained in a small area.