Monday 18 December 2017

Gardai confront chief suspect with CCTV film of fatal stabbing

David Spain: stabbed to death after going to help a friend
David Spain: stabbed to death after going to help a friend
Sean Turner

Ken Foy and Sam Griffin

GARDAI investigating the St Stephen's Day stabbing that killed one man and left his champion boxer friend fighting for his life have obtained CCTV footage showing the brutal attack.

David Spain (26) was attacked and killed just 100 yards from his family home in Rathsallagh Park, Shankill in south Dublin following a row over a €50 debt.

The row broke out at a late-night party at Mr Spain's house, which his friend, champion boxer Sean Turner (22), was also attending.

Mr Spain left the party after learning that Mr Turner had been attacked. He suffered fatal injuries when he was stabbed.

Mr Turner is recovering in hospital after sustaining serious internal injuries, including lacerations to his organs.

A man in his 30s has been arrested and is being detained in Shankill garda station. Sources close to the investigation say the stabbing was caught by cameras mounted on a house and it is understood that the footage has been shown to the chief suspect.

The camera images are understood to show the suspect going into his own house and then emerging a short time later with a knife, before stabbing both men.

David Spain died just 10 weeks after returning home from Sydney to spend Christmas with his family.

The 26-year-old victim's devastated mother and father were among the first to discover their son's lifeless body on the street.

It is believed the suspect had been involved in an argument at the party with another man, who was known to Mr Turner, over an alleged €50 debt.

The tragedy unravelled shortly after 5.15am on Thursday. One of Mr Spain's friends received a text message telling them that Mr Turner had been attacked.

"David and another friend walked outside to see if the guy was alright," said his father, David Spain Snr. "David saw his friend on the ground. He ran after the guy he thought had carried out the attack.

"David's friend was helping Sean on the ground. But while he was helping Sean he looked over and then saw David lying on the ground."

One of David Jnr's friends ran to tell David Snr and his wife Iris their son had been stabbed. "I ran outside and my wife ran out after me. One of the other lads, Darren, was holding David down to try and keep in the blood," David Snr said.


Both men were rushed to St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin but David was pronounced dead shortly after 8am.

Elsewhere, a 22-year-old man from Tipperary is in a stable condition in hospital after he was stabbed near his home at the entrance to the Monakeeba estate in Thurles.

The man, named locally as Philip Power, was rushed to Clonmel Hospital following the early-morning attack yesterday.

Gardai recovered a knife near the scene and arrested a man in his 30s who has since been released. A file is being prepared for the DPP.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News