News Irish News

Wednesday 20 February 2019

Gardai arrest two teenagers in connection with horror street attack

Brazilian student recovering at home

Tom Brady, Security Editor

Gardai have arrested two teenagers in connection with the horrific assault in the centre of Dublin on St Patrick's Day.

The teenagers, aged 16 and 17, were arrested yesterday evening in the Dublin 2 area.

They are currently detained under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Pearse Street Garda Station.

A young man was kicked in the head and knocked unconscious in an unprovoked street attack that was filmed and posted on the internet on St Patrick's Day.

Investigating officers admitted last night they were shocked by the savagery of the assault.

They said it appeared to have been a random attack by two teenagers on the man, who was completely innocent.

Footage of the horrific assault was later posted on social media. Gardai established yesterday that the victim is a young Brazilian student, who is currently living in the capital.

But his identity is not being disclosed until after officers have interviewed him.

A man is kicked in the face on Dublin's Aston Quay, St Patrick's Day 2014. The incident was captured in a camera phone video which went viral.
A man is kicked in the face on Dublin's Aston Quay, St Patrick's Day 2014. The incident was captured in a camera phone video which went viral.

Detectives said they were making progress with their inquiries and were hopeful of early arrests.

One officer said they were following definite lines of inquiry.

The attack took place outside a bookies shop at Aston Quay at around 4pm on Monday.

The incident was not immediately reported to gardai but paramedics were called and the unconscious victim was taken to St James' Hospital.

He was later discharged following treatment and was recovering from his injuries last night.

Gardai said he was kicked at least twice by the two teenagers during the incident and one kick to the head knocked him out.


The culprits fled, leaving their victim crumpled on the street as a large crowd of revellers gathered.

A film of the assault was later circulated on Facebook and Twitter but subsequently removed after other social media users condemned the incident.

Friends of the teenagers boasted about the attack, and one said: "That was one of the best knockouts I've ever seen, Ronaldo couldn't kick like that."

On Tuesday night a woman, claiming to be the mother of one of the teenage thugs, contacted a radio phone-in show on FM 104 and said the attack was linked to an earlier incident.

But gardai said they had not yet uncovered any evidence of an earlier incident involving the victim.

Profiles of some youths allegedly involved in the attack were also posted on Facebook but some were later withdrawn.

Last night gardai at Pearse Street station appealed to anybody who spotted the incident at Aston Quay around 4pm on Monday to contact them there, or to phone the confidential line, 1800 666 111.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News