| 8.7°C Dublin

Gardai arrest three men over fatal shooting of teen in house

Gardai investigating the fatal shooting of a Dublin teenager in a friend's house last night arrested three men in the Dublin area.

The three, who are all in their late teens, were detained at Kevin Street, Harcourt Terrace and Pearse Street garda stations under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act 2007.

Gardai now believe that the shooting of the teenager in a friend's house was either a spur-of-the-moment decision or an accident.

Investigating officers said last night they did not think the death of Paul McCarthy (19) had been planned.

Mr McCarthy was shot once in the head with a handgun in a bedroom of a friend's house at Myra Close, Emmet Road, Inchicore, in Dublin's south inner city.

Some other youths ran out of the house immediately after the shooting on Monday afternoon and left him lying in a pool of blood. He died later that night in hospital.

A handgun was later found by gardai searching the front garden of a house in nearby Emmet Road. It had been hidden behind a bush and beside a wall.

Garda technical experts are carrying out forensic tests on the weapon but officers are satisfied it was used in the shooting.

They said last night that they had not ruled out the possibility that Mr McCarthy had been shot accidentally while the other youths were "messing" with the gun.

But they are also examining the theory that the victim had been undergoing an interrogation at the time by members of a gang but it had not been intended to kill him.

Mr McCarthy was arrested by gardai last February in connection with the seizure of a €30,000 haul of cocaine, a Glock handgun and a loaded magazine.

He appeared in court last week on charges related to the find. Gardai are trying to establish if the shooting might have been connected to the seizure.

Mr McCarthy was known to have associated with some members of a criminal gang in the south inner city but was not regarded as a major gangland player.

A family member told the Irish Independent yesterday that he was not high on cocaine when he was shot and said he was not involved with gangs.

Last night gardai issued an appeal to those who were in the house at the time to contact the investigation team.

An investigation headquarters has been established at Kilmainham station and gardai have appealed to anyone who spotted one or more men acting suspiciously in the Myra Close area between 2pm and 3pm on Monday or had information about the shooting to contact them at any station or on the confidential line, 1800 666111.

Irish Independent