Gardai arrest man over false Louis Walsh sex claims
A man remained in custody this evening after he was arrested in Navan Co Meath in relation to false sexual assault allegations he made against pop impresario Louis Walsh.
The man was detained at a house in the town and is being held under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act on suspicion of making a false statement of complaint to gardaí.
Walsh earlier expressed his delight that allegations had been retracted and vowed to pursue legal vindication for his good name.
In a statement the X Factor judge said: “ I have been informed by An Garda Síochána that I am now no longer under investigation. I have robustly maintained from the outset that this alleged incident did not occur.
“While I obviously welcome today's confirmation from the Garda that the matter has been dropped I remain outraged that this story ran in the first place in The Sun and I have instructed my libel lawyer to vigorously pursue legal action against the paper and they will also be taking action in relation to a number of other equally serious related matters.
“I have no intention of letting this matter rest until I have received total and absolute vindication. This has been a hugely distressing time for me, but I would like to thank all my friends and colleagues for their support and I am now just looking forward to getting back to work.
The man who accused Walsh of sexually assaulting him in a nightclub bathroom retracted his claim last night and was this this evening under arrest at Navan Garda Station.
The 24-year-old father-of-three from Navan, Co Meath broke down while being questioned by police and eventually came clean, according to the Evening Herald.
The news that Walsh had been cleared set Twitter alight.
Model Rosanna Davison was one of the first to tweet: “Great to hear that Louis Walsh has been cleared of all charges.”
Earlier journalist Eoin Murphy tweeted the news to his 1,000+ Twitter followers “Louis Walsh completely vindicated. His accuser withdraws statement and admits lies.”
And journalist Melanie Finn then tweeted: “In his first interview, Louis Walsh told me of his relief to be vindicated but says he was "too trusting" and it has changed him forever.”
His accuser had claimed that Walsh sexually assaulted him in Krystal nightclub in the Russell Court Hotel, on Dublin’s Harcourt Street last April after a Westlife concert at the O2.
He could also be charged with a number of other offences including time wasting.
Walsh spent the weekend with friends and family at home in Dublin as the accuser attempted to protect his privacy.
He had consistently said the allegations were untrue and has vowed to clear his name.
He was interviewed by gardai on Friday but no charges were made against him.
A letter from Cosgrave Solicitors stated that publication of the man’s name would be a violation of his right to privacy.