Wednesday 24 January 2018

Gardai arrest man (44) over knife frenzy at birthday party

Jamie Tonner
Jamie Tonner
Kurtis Lennon
Lee Harte
Stephen Keogh
James Tonner

Tom Brady and Fiona Ellis

GARDA investigating a row which left six men hospitalised after birthday celebrations have arrested a suspect.

Officers detained the 44-year-old man yesterday afternoon for questioning.

He had earlier been discharged from St James's Hospital where he had been receiving treatment after being struck on the back of the head with a cricket bat during the confrontation in the house at Deerpark Avenue in Kiltipper, Tallaght, over the weekend.

Detectives wanted to talk to him about an incident in which five others were stabbed.

All five were taken to Tallaght Hospital where two of them underwent emergency surgery.

They were initially described as being in a critical condition but last night were said to be recovering from their injuries.

Gardai said the row followed an on-going dispute in the area over noise allegedly emanating from late-night parties.

Officers said they had been called to the area several times in recent months to deal with public order complaints.

Sunday's row erupted at around 4.20am as the Tonner family and their friends were coming towards the end of celebrations to mark Jamie's 18th birthday.

The party had started with a barbecue on Saturday evening and then carried on into the next morning.

A man had earlier called to the house to complain about the noise levels and then left.

During the incident Jamie and his dad, Jim (45) and three of Jamie's friends -- Kurtis Lennon (18), Lee Harte (17) and Stephen Keogh (18) -- were all stabbed in a frenzied attack.

Jamie's mother, Deirdre Tonner, told the Irish Independent yesterday that her husband and son were recovering well from their wounds.

"Jim is doing well. They had to remove part of his bowel. It was major surgery but he is awake now and they are moving him from intensive care to a ward.

"He is going to be ok, but it'll be a long road to recovery."

Mr Tonner, who is Scottish, was jailed for six years in 2008 when he admitted storing firearms and cannabis for Irish criminals because he owed them money.

But the judge suspended the final three years of his sentence after noting that the case "was not as sinister as it might appear at first blush".


Mrs Tonner said her son was "feeling better and feeling much brighter".

She added: "They're all recovering well and they're all going to get better. It's a relief."

A neighbour said the party didn't disturb her.

She said there was no music playing and she slept until she was woken by screams outside.

Another neighbour described the family as "lovely people and very quiet".

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News