News Irish News

Saturday 21 April 2018

Gardai arrest four people in Galway murder probe

Garda at the scene in Cullairbaun Estate in Athenry last week
Garda at the scene in Cullairbaun Estate in Athenry last week

GARDAI investigating the murder of a Polish man in Galway have arrested four people.

Krzysztof Ciesielski (41) died this morning after spending almost a week in intensive care.

The Polish man was left with serious head in a an assault in Galway last week.

The 41-year-old man died at University Hospital Galway after his life support was switched off. A post mortem revealed he died as a result of a severe assault.

Following his death gardai  arrested three men and one woman for questioning as part of their inquiries into his murder. The man, who is in his 40s and two male teenagers were held under section 4 of the criminal justice act. A woman in her 30s is also being detained.

They were arrested this evening and  are being held at Gort and Galway Garda stations.

Mr Ciesielski was the father of a young family. Family members also travelled from Poland to keep a vigil by his hospital bedside over the past week.

The Polish man was assaulted in an Athenry housing estate last Thursday night. He had remained in a critical condition in University Hospital Galway for close to a week.

The victim, who had lived in Athenry for several years had been socializing with friends when the incident occurred in the Cullairbaun Estate in Athenry at 11.30pm on Thursday May 30. A row broke out on the green involving a number of men and it is understood that he was struck with a weapon on the head and sustained serious head injuries.

The man, who has several young children, ran an ice-cream van in the local area. His children are students in the local school Scoil Chroi Naofa. His heartbroken family are being comforted by relatives who flew to Ireland from Poland.

The victim had been on life support for the past number of days but the machine was turned off yesterday morning after it became clear that he had no hopes of recovery.

Following the incident gardai carried out door to door enquiries in the Galway estate. They also interviewed a number of people in relation to the incident. They have now issued an appeal for any witnesses to the incident who have not yet come forward to do so.

A garda spokesperson said investigations were ongoing.

Local Fine Gael councillor Peter Feeney said the entire community wanted to express their condolences to the man's family.

"It's an awful situation and a terrible waste. He was in the ice-cream business and his children were in the local school. Some of his family have travelled over from Poland. It's a real tragedy and I want to express my condolences and those of the whole community to his family," he added.

An appeal for witnesses has been made anyone who was in the area between 11pm and midnight Friday is asked to contact the station on 091 538000 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News