Garda probe after brother and sister found dead
Gardai are continuing to investigate the sudden deaths of a brother and sister who were discovered at their home in Galway.
The bodies of the pair, named locally as Gavin Ridgard and Tricia Kerr, both in their 50s, were discovered at their home at John Coogan Park in the city at around lunchtime yesterday.
The deaths are the second tragedy to befall the family. Mr Ridgard's daughter Gemma died suddenly in the house last April.
The alarm was raised yesterday after the pair had not been seen for some time. A city council tradesman who was in the area assisted concerned locals to gain entry to the local authority house.
There they found Ms Kerr collapsed in her downstairs bedroom with her brother in the kitchen. Both were dead.
Gardai sealed off the house for technical examination and the bodies wre brought to University Hospital Galway for a post-mortem examination.
Gardai said they would await the outcome of the post-mortems before deciding on the route of the investigation. However, the deaths are not being treated as suspicious.
Gardai are now looking at all possible causes for the tragedy. While carbon monoxide poisoning is being investigated, it is understood Ms Kerr's dog was alive in the house.
Locals said the pair were quiet neighbours who kept to themselves.
Neighbour Mary McDonagh said they had been lovely neighbours. "She would often be out walking her little dog. She was a lovely woman, very quiet. She couldn't walk far because her legs weren't good.
"You might not see them every day but we would call on them to see how they were," she said.
Thomas McDonagh said he had known the family growing up.
"It'll be very hard for the rest of their family. They just buried Gemma and now they have a sister and brother to bury as well," he said.