News Irish News

Saturday 17 March 2018

Gardaí in fresh appeal over man stabbed 40 times

Stabbing victim Michal Kurek
Stabbing victim Michal Kurek

Ken Foy

Gardaí are mystified about the vicious murder of a 34-year-old man who was stabbed around 40 times before his body was dumped in a ditch.

One line of inquiry is that homeless Polish man Michal Kurek may have been stabbed by other eastern Europeans at another location before his body was left in a secluded area at Grange, Ballyboughal, Co Dublin, on August 4 last.

Gardaí have renewed their appeal for information and said no resource is being spared in the hunt for Mr Kurek's killers.

Speaking yesterday, Superintendent Noel Carolan said: "The area where Michal's body was discovered is otherwise a generally very quiet, peaceful rural community.

"Michal was homeless during recent months and is known to have spent time in the Blanchardstown/Ongar area and in Dublin city centre.

"A Garda family liaison officer is engaged with members of Michal's family in Poland to provide support and inform the family of the progress of the investigation.

"Garda resources are not being spared in this investigation and several hundred lines of inquiry are being examined.

"We have received massive assistance from the public as well as very valuable information from the local community, the Polish community and the homeless community.

"However, we are still appealing for anyone with information to come forward."

Gardaí are appealing to anyone who knew Mr Kurek, in particular anyone who met him or knew of his movements at any time on Thursday, August 3, or Friday, August 4, to contact them at Balbriggan garda station on 01 802 0510 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

The man's remains were discovered in a laneway off the Ballyboughal to Oldtown Road (R129), approximately a kilometre outside Ballyboughal.

Detectives from Balbriggan garda station are leading the detailed probe into the capital's latest murder.

No arrests have been made so far.

As part of their investigations, gardaí are trawling through CCTV to identify the vehicle and route taken by the man's killers.

Gardaí previously confirmed it is most likely the stabbing took place elsewhere before his body was dumped.

Supt Carolan said: "In all probability, we are probably looking at a situation where the fatal injuries did not take place here. It probably means there is more than just one scene."

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News