| 13.7°C Dublin

Garda breakthrough in chute killing

GARDAI are following a definite line of inquiry into the unlawful killing of a homeless man who was savagely beaten and then stuffed into a rubbish disposal chute.

Detectives are relying on a forensic dental expert to confirm the identity of the dead man, believed to be Liam Manley (62).

The body, which was found at Northgate House on Bachelor's Quay in Cork last Monday, was badly decomposed due to the location where it had been for between 48 and 72 hours.

Mr Manley, who had a serious alcohol problem, had lived rough and in Cork Simon shelters for over 25 years.

He was originally from Gurranabraher and his sister, Mary, said the family is still awaiting confirmation that it is him.

"Liam's a gentle man – he wouldn't hurt anyone," she said. "He didn't deserve this if it is him."

Two individuals are of "specific interest" to gardai, though no arrests have yet been made.

It is believed that Mr Manley was attacked by one individual following a drink-fuelled row. It remains unclear whether he was dead before he was pushed into the waste chute.

Irish Independent