News Irish News

Thursday 14 December 2017

GAA player died from heart attack, inquest is told

Eimear Ni Bhraonain

A YOUNG GAA player suffered a massive heart attack as he ate a bag of chips after a football match.

Friends of Martin "Chubby" Sheridan thought the 22-year-old had choked on a chip as they desperately tried to resuscitate him.

However, an inquest into his death at Carlow Coroner's Court yesterday found the young sportsman had died from heart failure caused by a sudden and irregular heartbeat.

Mr Sheridan, from Coill Dubh, Co Kildare, had a pacemaker fitted some years ago as he suffered from a heart defect. He had played a football match on the night he died on September 3.

The footballer had gone into Carlow town with his teammates after the game finished for a couple of pints and some food when tragedy struck.

Mr Sheridan was sitting in the back of his friend's car eating a takeaway when he appeared to lose his breath. His friends thought he was choking and removed him from the car before calling an ambulance. They performed CPR until the paramedics arrived.

The out-of-hours service, CareDoc was notified, and a doctor attended the scene on Tullow Street where he was pronounced dead.

His mother, Anna, later had to identify her son's body in Carlow morgue.

The pathologist's report indicated there was only a small amount of alcohol -- equivalent to one bottle of Bulmers -- in Mr Sheridan's system when he died. His airwaves were checked, however, there was "no evidence of a food blockage".

Coroner Dr Brendan Doyle concurred with the medical evidence and recorded a verdict of death caused by acute heart failure.

The secondary cause of death was an irregular heart rhythm which came on "very suddenly".

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News