Monday 20 November 2017

Funeral held for tragic student Patrick Halpin (18)

Patrick Halpin
Patrick Halpin
Caroline Crawford

Caroline Crawford

THE HEARTBROKEN family of student Patrick Halpin will lay him to rest today while still in the dark as to how he died.

Patrick's parents Paddy and Elsie and his sister Regina all travelled to London last week to collect the remains of the young student. It was the first time the family were able to see the 18-year-old since his tragic death.

Hundreds of mourners called to the family home in Kilnadeema yesterday to pay their respects to the young actuary student and his devastated family.

Patrick will be laid to rest in Kilnadeema Cemetery today following a funeral mass at St Brendan's Cathedral in Loughrea.

His local club Kilnadeema-Leitrim will provide a guard of honour from the local church to the graveyard. Six members of the club will also carry Patrick's remains from Kilnadeema Church to the cemetery.

Des Roache, who managed Patrick in the club's minor hurling squad, said they were "honoured" to be asked by the family to assist.

"The club is deeply moved and honoured to be asked by the family to bring Patrick to his final resting place," he said.

A post-mortem investigation carried out on the actuary student's remains proved inconclusive this week and the family remain in the dark as to how he came to be on the roof of the building in Leicester Square where his body was found.

A police spokesperson said the post-mortem was unable to establish the cause of death and they are now awaiting the results of further tests.

However, a close friend said that for now the family were concentrating on Patrick's funeral.

"There is still huge confusion about what happened. They think he was trying to get back into the nightclub and couldn't.

"They don't really know anything more about what happened but their biggest concern was getting him home," he added.

DCU student Patrick, 18, was on a trip to London with the university's drama society when he went missing. He had been on a night out with friends when he was last seen leaving the nightclub just after midnight on the morning of Wednesday, February 5, making his way towards Burger King.

The 18-year-old's body was found on the roof of a Burger King in Leicester Square on Thursday, February 6.

Sunday Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News