Sunday 17 December 2017

Friends thought GAA player was choking on a chip before death

Eimear Ni Bhraonain

FRIENDS of a young GAA player thought he was choking on a chip moments before his sudden death.

Martin Sheridan (22) had complained of not feeling well after playing a football match on Saturday afternoon.

The young man, from Coill Dubh, Co Kildare, had travelled to Carlow town to play a match against the Palatine club.

Players went for dinner to the Cafe Roma on Tullow Street in the town following the game.

After the meal, Mr Sheridan "seemed to lose his breath" and collapsed on the pavement where his team-mates desperately tried to resuscitate him.

His friends followed instructions from helpful passers-by until emergency services arrived. Paramedics then continued to do CPR, but he died at the scene.

Mr Sheridan, who previously had a pacemaker fitted because he suffered from a heart defect, died shortly after 11pm.

The young man, who was known to his friends as "Chubby", was a keen member of St Kevin's club in Staplestown. The cause of his fatal collapse is thought to have been a heart attack. A post-mortem is due to be held.

The footballer was the second eldest child of Peter and Anna. Sheridan He is also survived by his brothers Peter, Christopher, Patrick and Kevin, grandparents Denis, Sean and Gretta and godson Patrick.

He had recently started a college course to train as a greenkeeper and worked in a local golf club.

Chairman of St Kevin's, John Noone, said the entire club was "very cut up" about the death of the "exceptional" man.

"He was a very popular young lad and a sensible young man, something that's hard to find nowadays."


He said the footballer was due to captain St Kevin's second team in the Kildare reserve team championship semi-final on Wednesday. "He was looking forward to it, he was outstanding in the quarter final, he was man of the match."

The death "came out of the blue" and club members were struggling to come to terms with it. It was the second tragedy to hit the club recently as members were still coping with the death of 50-year-old Frank "Francie" Browne.

John Roddy, who lives next door to where Martin Sheridan shared a house with his grandfather, Denis Holt, said the young man was "highly thought of'' in the area

"I knew Martin. He'd be the sort of lad that you'd hope your daughter would bring home."

Mr Sheridan's remains will repose at his home in Coill Dubh from noon today. Funeral Mass will be celebrated in Christ The King Church in Cooleragh at 11am tomorrow followed by burial in St Benignus Cemetery, Staplestown.

His family has asked for donations to be made to the Irish Heart Foundation.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News