| 11.2°C Dublin

Freddie Thompson gang main suspects in failed Michael Frazer hit


Frederick Thompson

Frederick Thompson

Frederick Thompson

JAILED mobster Freddie Thompson's gang are suspected of being behind the latest botched hit on Michael 'Micky' Frazer.

The 34-year-old has already survived three attempts on his life this year.

Gardai believe his life was saved when the airbags went off in his BMW after it was rammed while he was sitting in it next to an apartments complex in Islandbridge shortly before 7pm last Saturday.

Two men, one of whom was described as 5ft 8in and wearing a grey jacket and blue jeans, chased after Frazer and fired "a number of shots".


Gardai said he managed to escape into the nearby Bellevue apartments and was uninjured.

The gunmen were driving a 08-registered red Honda Civic car. It was quickly established that the car had been stolen several weeks ago.

Officers believe Frazer was set-up by a member of the Thompson gang as he had arrived at the scene with an associate of his who drove in a separate vehicle, a van.

The van was driven to Islandbridge by a man from Cabra who had been seen with Frazer in recent times.

Sources said the pair were due to meet a local gangster who was previously closely associated with jailed Ballyfermot crime boss Derek 'Dee Dee' O'Driscoll.

The local gangster is also suspected of having set-up James Kenny McDonagh (27) who was abducted, shot in the head and buried in the Dublin mountains in October 2010 by a drugs gang.

Frazer has already survived three other attempts on his life this year, one in Clondalkin last March when he was shot three times.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

In another incident earlier in the summer, the Garda Organised Crime Unit intercepted an assassination team on the South Circular Road.

Frazer survived a third assassination attempt in August. He was lured to the car park of a pub in Firhouse where a masked gunman walked up to his car and tried to open fire.

The weapon jammed and Frazer rushed to nearby Tallaght Garda Station to report the incident. Gang enforcer Paul Rice was arrested but later released without charge after being questioned about the Firhouse incident.

Another incident involving Frazer was investigated by detectives from Crumlin in August.

He caused a major security alert by making a panicked call to gardai saying he saw a man outside the Drimnagh house he was staying in wearing a balaclava.


Most Watched