Fourteen homeless families told that Gresham Hotel has 'no room' for them from next month
More than a dozen homeless families have been told by The Gresham Hotel that it will not be offering emergency accommodation from next month.
Some 14 families have been informed that the Dublin hotel will not be accepting them from January 31 onwards. The Gresham had been paid by Dublin Regional Homeless Executive (DRHE) for the families to use the accommodation.
A spokeswoman for the DRHE said that it was made aware of the decision two months ago and was confident of locating alternative temporary homes for these families by the deadline at the end of the month.
It is anticipated that family hubs will be the most likely relocation.
"The DRHE was advised in November that this hotel was not in a position to continue to provide accommodation," the spokeswoman said.
"We are actively working to provide alternative suitable accommodation for the families in question, which could include accommodation in family hubs, and expect to have this finalised very shortly," she added.
Representatives from the Gresham Hotel were unavailable for comment.
Anthony Flynn, director of Dublin's Inner City Helping Homeless (ICHH), has called for more transparency from DRHE to provide breakdowns of how much money has been paid to which hotels during the current homelessness crisis.
"We want to know who's been receiving this money," Mr Flynn said.
He added that the priority for ICHH is to ensure that the 14 families receive appropriate accommodation and that it has contacted the DRHE offering assistance in ensuring this.
It is understood that Dublin City Council is expecting to house a couple of hundred more families in hubs by the end of March.