Four clubs evacuated after hoax bomb calls
GARDAI have mounted a "very serious investigation" into four bomb hoaxes at nightclubs, which saw hundreds of people evacuated.
The bomb threats at nightclubs in Galway, Mayo and Offaly on Saturday night saw concerted garda searches before it was established they were hoaxes.
The warnings were given extra priority after the caller used a recognised code word.
The threats alleged that bombs had been planted in the Bentley nightclub in Eyre Square in Galway; the Western Hotel, Claremorris; Hayden's Hotel, Ballinasloe; and the Tullamore Court Hotel in Co Offaly. However, after a mass evacuation, gardai quickly established that all four were hoaxes.
The call was made to gardai in Galway shortly before 11.30pm, warning them of four suspect devices. Gardai immediately informed management of the venues. Staff and customers were forced to evacuate from the four premises with nearby apartment blocks also evacuated.
No arrests have yet been made in the matter.
Superintendent Gerry Roche from Ballinasloe said: "A very serious investigation will be conducted in relation to it."
The superintendent also paid a special tribute to staff in the four premises. "The local management were contacted by the gardai and they acted very swiftly and, within a very short time, all four premises were cleared and searched with the assistance of the staff," he said.