Saturday 16 December 2017

Forgetful murder suspect fails in bid to attend funeral

Ray Managh

A MURDER suspect was refused compassionate bail to attend his grandfather's funeral after he was unable to remember his dead relative's address.

Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy said he had not been impressed by the evidence of 22-year-old Keith Wilson, who is charged with the murder of father-of-two Daniel Gaynor. Mr Gaynor (24) was shot in the neck and chest as he walked along St Helena's Road, Finglas, Dublin, on August 14, 2010. Mr Wilson is charged with his murder.

Mr Wilson, of Cremona Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin, told the High Court yesterday that he had been very close to his grandfather and used to clean house for him.

However, the accused admitted he could not remember his late grandfather's address but said he knew the location of flats where he had lived. Mr Wilson agreed with Grainne O'Neill, prosecuting, that his grandfather had been in a home since February 2010 and said his last visits must have taken place during the months of January and February last year. When asked if he spent a lot of time in Spain, Mr Wilson said he had but could not remember the number of times he had been to the country last year.

Ms O'Neill told Mr Wilson his evidence to the court was "simply not credible."

Garda Inspector Martin Cumins told the court he did not believe Mr Wilson would turn up to face trial.

Mr Justice McCarthy said Mr Wilson had made a very poor impression in the witness box and he did not accept that the accused had been particularly close to his 85-year-old grandfather.

The judge refused to release Mr Wilson for eight hours tomorrow morning to attend the funeral despite an offer by his family to post €5,000 bail.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News