Wednesday 13 December 2017

Foreign Affairs Minister 'disappointed' trial of Irish teen Ibrahim Hawala is postponed for fourth time

Ibrahim Halawa
Ibrahim Halawa

Brian Byrne

Foreign Affairs Minister Charlie Flanagan has said he is “disappointed” that the trial of Irish teenager Ibrahim Halawa has been postponed for the fourth time.

The 17-year-old Dublin Muslim had been due to make his fourth court appearance since he arrested 18 months ago at a protest in Cairo, Egypt.

Mr Flanagan said he was “concerned that the Egyptian authorities continue to consider Ibrahim's case as part of a group trial. I have personally raised the Government’s concerns about this case with my Egyptian counterpart on a number of occasions.

“Officials in Dublin and Cairo have been working actively on this case, and have been in on-going and sustained contact with the Egyptian authorities and international partners, since Ibrahim Halawa was initially imprisoned.”

Halawai was due to be tried amongst a group of 494 people, following his arrest at a protest in a mosque on August 17, 2013.

The group’s case had been scheduled to be heard on three prior occasions, but all were similarly cancelled at the last minute.

Mr Flanagan added: “My Department will continue to take all appropriate action to ensure Ibrahim’s welfare, and to seek a review of his case, his release and return to his family and his studies.

“In the meantime, we will continue to provide all possible consular assistance to Ibrahim Halawa and his family.”

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News