| 8.7°C Dublin

Football manager dies in crash on way to match

A FOOTBALL manager is among three people who were killed in three separate road incidents at the weekend.

Jeremy Dee, who was in his 50s, was on his way to a match in Dublin when the car he was driving crashed into a wall.

The single-vehicle accident happened between Williams-town in Galway and Cloonfad in south Roscommon shortly after 9am.

Mr Dee was pronounced dead at Mayo General Hospital.

Mr Dee was the manager of women's team Castlebar Celtic club for a number of years and they were due to play against Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium yesterday afternoon. The game was cancelled as a mark of respect.

Another Castlebar Celtic player, Marie Harrington, was due to get a lift from Mr Dee to the match but pulled out the night before due to illness.

Mr Dee and his daughter, Ciara, set off on their journey from Castebar Celtic's ground at 8.30am.

Some 45 minutes later, the car skidded on black ice, careered across the road and hit a wall, causing it to overturn three times. Miraculously, his daughter suffered only minor injuries and received three stitches to her head in hospital.

Mr Dee, from Bekan, Co Mayo, had worked as a supervisor with Fas in Milebush Park in Castlebar for the past eight years.

He was also soccer editor for MidWest Radio in Mayo.

"He was one of the leading lights in promoting soccer, particularly ladies' soccer, in Mayo. He was one of the main reasons Castlebar Celtic put a ladies' team into the Aertricity League. He was also the national co-ordinator for all FAI competitions," said former FAI President Pat Quigley.

Separately, a woman in her 20s died last night while a second woman was seriously injured after their car lost control and hit a crash barrier in Co Clare. The single-vehicle accident happened at around 4pm at Ballylion, about 10km north of Ennis.

The young victim, who is understood to have been the driver, was thrown from the red Nissan car in the impact.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The victim's female passenger, believed to be her mother, was seriously injured and was trapped in the car for some time.

It's understood the pair were returning to Athenry, Co Galway, from Shannon Airport at the time.

A surgeon, who was travelling behind the car, stopped and raced to see if he could help, however the younger of the two women was pronounced dead at the scene.

Meanwhile, gardai are searching for the driver of a Ford Focus in connection with a hit-and-run accident in which a 65-year-old man was killed.

Gerry Keane from Ardrahan in south Co Galway died in hospital on Saturday after being knocked down the previous evening as he crossed the N18 Galway-Limerick road.

Mr Keane was rushed to University Hospital Galway, but he died of his injuries the following day.


Meanwhile, families who lost loved ones in crashes on our country's roads lit candles, released lanterns and recalled their loss yesterday.

Hundreds gathered to remember the victims at Belvedere House in Co Westmeath for World Remembrance Day for Road Traffic Victims.

The moving ceremony was organised by the Irish Road Victims Association (IRVA), which was founded in Mullingar in September.

Irish Independent