Football club apologises over unpaid wages
Managers at Limerick FC have said a row over unpaid wages is over and apologised to players and staff.
In a statement, the club said it takes full responsibility for failing to pay them since July 6. The players threatened to ballot on strike action - just days after Bray Wanderers players backed industrial action over unpaid wages.
"The issue was resolved today," said the club in a statement. "The club takes full responsibility for this matter and would like to make it clear that the club is solely responsible for the players' contracts."
Siptu's Denis Hynes said some Limerick FC players were paid yesterday and the club said payments will be made by today to those who have not yet received what they are due.
The club said there had been questioning of the FAI's club licensing system recently but repeated that it holds the players' contracts.
"Before the 2018 season, the club submitted what was a prudent budget - through the club licensing process - as it budgeted for an income less than our actual income for the 2017 season. The budget produced showed a break even," it said.
However, it said its gate receipts and match-night income was well below levels over the last few years, leading it to cut costs. It said the first opportunity to restructure the playing budget came in the July transfer window, when six players agreed to leave the club.
However, it said it was "extremely disappointed" the Professional Footballers' Association of Ireland arranged a meeting with players yesterday to ballot on strike action. It claimed the association at no time requested a meeting with the club to discuss the situation.