Fire forces evacuation at luxury hotel
UP to 200 guests staying in luxury accommodation were evacuated from the building last night after a fire broke out.
A chimney fire in a wing of the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Powerscourt, Co Wicklow, broke out at 8.30pm, forcing management to evacuate the building. The fire brigade in Bray attended the scene and the blaze was quickly brought under control.
Staff were back working by 9pm, and guests returned an hour later.
"A chimney went on fire in a wing of the hotel," a spokeswoman said.
"There was a lot of smoke, and everyone was evacuated, about 200 guests. It was in a section of the hotel where no one was staying.
"The fire broke out at about 8.30pm and the fire brigade was called. Everyone was evacuated in about 15 minutes; it was done very quickly. Some of the staff were back inside at 9pm. Everyone is safe."
A full investigation was being carried out, she added, and there were no injuries.
The €200m, five-star hotel was opened by then-Taoiseach Bertie Ahern in October 2007.
Situated on the Powerscourt Estate in Enniskerry, a night's stay ranges in price from €255 to €5,000 for the presidential suite.