News Irish News

Wednesday 21 February 2018

Fiend used Facebook to lure victim to shed where she was raped

Charles Warren

AN Irish civil servant who contacted an "old friend" through Facebook was lured to an isolated shed in England where she was bound and gagged, told she was going to be his "sex slave", and raped.

William Jameson, who unknown to the victim had a history of violence -- including strangling a Dublin man to death during a sex ritual, attempted murder and child rape -- then left her tied up with a rope round her neck.

But the 31-year-old woman managed to free her feet and forced her way out of the building with her wrists still tied by electric cable. As she frantically tried to raise the alarm she was seen by the driver of a passenger train as she ran alongside the track waving her bound hands, an image which was caught by the onboard CCTV.

She then went to a nearby farmhouse where, distressed and covered in mud and blood, she got help.

Jameson was jailed for life by a judge in Swindon, England, yesterday. The victim, who worked in the civil service in Ireland, first met 48-year-old Jameson, who she knew as Liam, in 2004 when they were on a computer course.

She did not know that Jameson had been jailed for six years in 1999 for abandoning another man who died from strangulation and suffocation in the course of sado-masochistic sex. He was originally charged with the manslaughter of John Lees (65) at his home in Sandymount, Dublin in December 1998.

The civil servant had suffered from delusions that a relative was being held against their will in hospital, Swindon Crown Court heard yesterday.

Jameson, originally from Belfast, knew about the issue and preyed on it. He enticed her to England saying he would help free the relation and cheated her out of £18,000 (€20,848), saying it was needed to pay for the escape and to buy some land in Wiltshire which they would sell at a profit.

In November last year he took her to the patch of land near the rural village of Minety under the pretence that a nurse was going to bring the relative to them.

But when he got her into the shed he forced her to the ground and tied her hands and feet with electric cable, joining the binds behind her back.

He put a gag in her mouth and tied a rope round her neck and started to strangle her, saying she was going to be his "sex slave".

Jameson told her he was "a dangerous and violent man" and that he had been in prison in Belfast for rape and attempted murder.

Kerry Barker, prosecuting, told the court she offered him more money in a bid to get him to leave her but he was not interested and forced her to perform a sex act on him.

After he went outside to answer his phone she heard him leave and the woman managed to free her feet by getting a shoe and sock off.

She then forced the shed door and, with her hands still tied, got on to the railway line before running to a nearby farm to raise the alarm.

After Jameson was arrested police searched his home and found he had more than 1,500 sickening movies and pictures of violent sexual child abuse on his computer.

Jameson, of Finchampstead, Berkshire, pleaded guilty to rape, false imprisonment and 10 counts of making indecent images of children.

Mr Barker told the court that in 1986 the accused was jailed for 12 years for attempted murder, attempted rape, and other sex offences against a child.

He lured an eight-year-old girl from a Belfast street before putting a belt round her neck and sexually abusing her, then twice slammed a breeze block into her head in an attempt to kill her.

After he was released from jail in the early 1990s, he changed his name from William Jameson to Liam Jameson and moved to Dublin.


Later, gardai in Dublin found a fingerprint on a glass in Mr Lees's house and were able to match it to Jameson's prints on the RUC's database in Belfast.

Jameson had met Mr Lees at a bar in Tara Street through a classified ad. Mr Lees arrived dressed as a woman and the two went back to his house.

Dublin Circuit Court heard Mr Lees asked Jameson to sexually "humiliate" him by being bound and gagged, but something went wrong and Lees choked from a tightened ligature and suffocation from a sock gag.

Yesterday, Alex Daymond, defending, said his client realised he presented a danger to the public and was facing a lengthy jail term, but urged it to not be a life term.

He said Jameson had been abused terribly as a child and while in custody on remand was clean of drugs.

Although the shed was kitted out with sex toys, he said it was where his client went to act out his alter ego -- named Julie-Ann -- away from his wife.

Mr Daymond said it was not set up for the rape.

The judge, Peter Blair, jailed Jameson for life.

"You pose a considerable risk of serious harm to the public," he said. "This case falls fair and square into one that demands a sentence of life imprisonment.

"Mr Daymond rightly observes that this sentence should be reserved for the most grave cases: in my judgment this is one of those.

"I am quite simply of the view that there is a significant risk of serious harm to the pubic. Your offences are considerably serious to justify such a sentence. I also take into account your previous convictions."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News