Sunday 19 November 2017

Father warns teenagers on dangers of fireworks after son loses tip of finger

Gordon Deegan

THE father of a teenager who lost the tip of a finger after a banger exploded in his hand has warned of the dangers of teenagers using fireworks.

Last month, 14-year-old Co Clare schoolboy, Patrick Lucey, lost the top of the finger after playing with bangers on the grounds of a closed-down hotel in the seaside resort of Kilkee.

Last Friday, Patrick made his third visit to University College Hospital Galway to allow doctors to monitor progress on his injury.

His father, James, said yesterday: "The first time that Patrick went to the hospital in Galway for his injury he was airlifted by helicopter.

"He required a shot of morphine and doesn't remember too much about it."

Mr Lucey explained that Patrick was with friends in the grounds of the hotel playing with bangers that a friend had bought at the Ploughing Championships.

"The banger exploded in his hand and blew the skin off his index finger," he said.

Medics believed Patrick would require plastic surgery for the injury and as a result the helicopter was called in to bring him to Galway.

Mr Lucey said: "I'm not naive enough to say to teenagers that they should stop playing with bangers, because they will continue to do so.

"But what I would say to teenagers is to be very careful because bangers can be very dangerous. You could lose a finger. Patrick has his, but he was very lucky."

Mr Lucey said that Patrick didn't require any plastic surgery and the medics are happy with the progress he is making.

He said that Patrick -- a keen gaelic footballer and soccer player -- lost some bone and that has shortened the length of the finger.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News