'Fatbergs' fatal to dogs, warns council after find on beach
Deadly 'fatbergs' of solidified oil washed ashore in County Dublin are a danger to dogs and can harm or kill them if eaten.
The white lumps of congealed palm oil are believed to been in cargo washed off a ship.
Dogs love the smell of the fatbergs and are tempted to eat them. Several dogs in Britain have been killed in the past after eating them on beaches.
The fatbergs could be washed ashore anywhere in Ireland and dog owners are being warned to be watchful.
Fingal County Council has issued a warning for people to be vigilant after a fatberg was found along the coast.
Council spokesman Gerry McDermott said: "The material is a solid white substance which is known as a 'Palm Oil Fatberg' and they can range in size from being as small as a golf ball to as big as a boulder.
"We are asking the public to be vigilant as this substance can be harmful to dogs."
One of the fatbergs was washed ashore at Hoare's Rock in Skerries.
The waxy substance can be yellow or white and smells strongly of diesel or firelighters.