News Irish News

Wednesday 13 December 2017

Farmer lucky to escape store 'fireball'

Louise Hogan

A FARMER last night told of his lucky escape after a fire ball ripped through a massive grain storage complex in Co Meath.

Eugene Reilly, who has operated a grain storage and drying facility since 1978 at Kilberry, near Navan, was surveying the extent of the dam age.

Mr Reilly said they believed the grain dryer had been the source of the blaze, which erupted around 7pm on Monday.

"The firemen said it was a combination of gases, dust and smoke -- it just caused a fireball," he said, adding nothing like it had ever occurred there before.

"It is lucky no one was killed. I went in to take the forklift out when I was blown out the door," Mr Reilly said.

Five fire engines from Dublin Fire Brigade travelled to the site and battled for several hours to contain the fire.

Mr Reilly said they could not yet quantify how many tonnes had been lost as it depended on whether the remaining mounds proved smoke-damaged.

The damage was easily visible to passers-by as the heat had caused parts of the galvanised roof to buckle and collapse.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News