Sunday 21 January 2018

Family of murdered man in new appeal for information

Tom Brady Security Editor

THE family of a man who was murdered two years ago have issued an emotional plea for help, which could result in criminal charges against those responsible.

Kenneth Fetherstone's remains were found in the Dublin mountains in January last year after a four-month search for his body.

Gardai believe the father of one was murdered in the south Dublin suburb of Tallaght shortly after he went missing in September 2009.

His body was bundled into the back of his red Honda Civic car and taken to the Military Road in the mountains and dumped there.

The victim, then aged 26, had given a loan of around €10,000 to some acquaintances who said they needed money.

The cash came from an accident compensation claim, which had earlier been paid to Mr Fetherstone. But when he sought repayment of the loan, he was attacked and killed.

Yesterday, Mr Fetherstone's parents and sister asked the public to help gardai bring about a prosecution by coming forward with additional information.

His mother, Grainne, said to the public in an emotional press conference that the family were living a nightmare and the heartbreak was not going away.

His father, Brian, said Kenneth had been too trusting of people. He confirmed that he had given the loan to others and had been murdered because he asked for the debt to be repaid.

Brian Fetherstone said people should no longer be afraid to stand up for themselves and their families and should assist gardai in similar cases.

In February last year, gardai arrested two brothers and their father for questioning about the murder while their mother was detained for allegedly withholding information about the crime.

All four were later released without charge and a file was prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions, who indicated there was insufficient evidence to warrant a criminal charge.


Investigators said yesterday they were continuing to pursue a definite line of inquiry.

Kenneth Fetherstone was last seen alive on the morning of September 22, 2009, when he was captured on CCTV footage while filling up his car with petrol at an industrial estate on the Knocklyon Road.

He was reported missing by his family the following day and three days later the Honda Civic was found at the Perrmount lay-by on the southern side of the N11, outside Gorey, Co Wexford.

The victim's blood was found in the boot of the car and also on the rear bumper.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News