Wednesday 21 February 2018

Family of gas victim has 'no words' for loss

Barry Duggan and Ralph Riegel

THE heartbroken family of a young woman who died in a carbon-monoxide poisoning tragedy in a popular Irish hotel last night said there were no words to describe their loss.

The family of the late Miriam Reidy (35) and her partner, Pio Boyle, issued a statement in which they revealed their utter devastation over her death at the Trident Hotel in Kinsale, Co Cork, last Sunday.

Post-mortem and toxicology tests last night revealed that Ms Reidy died, as suspected, from an accidental, but lethal, build-up of the odourless and invisible gas in the hotel.

Her family and partner said they were still struggling to come to terms with the tragedy.

"She was a wonderful daughter, a thoughtful and kind sister and friend, the love of Pio's life, a cherished sister-in-law, a very special auntie and godmother to Donnchadh and Thomas," the family and Mr Boyle said.

"She will be sadly missed, but fondly remembered by her many friends and relations who shared her life and by her work colleagues in AIB bank. There are no words to describe the tragic loss of Miriam.

"We thank God that (Miriam's sister) Patricia 'Trish' was spared and would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt thanks for all the prayers and support we have received during this very difficult time.

"To quote Helen Keller: 'The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.'"

Miriam was yesterday lying in repose at the Reidy family home in Ballyhahill, Co Limerick, and is expected to be buried this weekend. Funeral arrangements were delayed in the hope that Patricia, still in hospital, may be well enough to attend.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News