Saturday 18 November 2017

Family of convicted rapist claim two men tried to kill him in broad daylight

Patrick 'Lolo' O'Driscoll
Patrick 'Lolo' O'Driscoll
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

GARDAI are investigating claims by the family of a convicted rapist that an attempt was made to kill him.

A brother of Patrick ‘Lolo’ O’Driscoll (47) claimed he spotted two men, one of whom was armed with a handgun, on a motorcycle near their family home at 2pm yesterday .

Patrick ‘Lolo’ O’Driscoll was alerted and ran across nearby fields, fearing for his life.

The duo then left the scene on the motorcycle.

A bike was later found burned out on the outskirts of Cork city.

Gardai are investigating the matter though no handgun was recovered.

Patrick ‘Lolo’ O’Driscoll was released from the Midlands Prison last month having completed eleven years of a sentence for rape.

That rape was committed just months after he had been released from serving another lengthy prison sentence for a rape in the midlands.

O’Driscoll, a member of the Travelling community, was released last month and went back to live with his family at Coombe outside Glenville in north Cork.

He now lives with his elderly mother with numerous relatives living nearby.

O’Driscoll has seen been visited several times by Gardai as part of his routine post release supervision process.

Before his prison release, his last victim and her mother admitted they were “living in fear” over the release of a rapist described by Gardai as one of Ireland’s most dangerous men.

The rape victim, who cannot be identified, admitted she is now reviewing her personal security, sleeps with a baseball bat by her pillow and hates going outside alone.

She is so terrified her family are desperate to get her fresh counselling despite the fact the attack was over 10 years ago.

“I feel like I have been in prison myself for the past decade…but it has been a prison of fear,” she told

O’Driscoll attacked the young woman just months after being released from prison for a separate rape sentence.

He had served nine years of a 12 year sentence – but had reoffended within weeks of his release.

Both rapes involved O’Driscoll ambushing women as they walked home alone in his native Cork.

In the second rape, he told the terrified victim he would target her child if she didn’t comply with his wishes.

He also threatened her if she ever identified him following the brutal two hours attack.

O’Driscoll beat her savagely over the head with a rock but was disturbed by a young man walking home – and fled the scene leaving his victim injured and traumatised but alive.

He was only arrested after a huge manhunt that extended over most of north Cork and involved dozens of gardai, helicopters, tracking dogs and road-blocks.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News