Friday 23 March 2018

Family devastated as second son falls victim to violent death

Breda Heffernan

Breda Heffernan

A FATHER has told of his devastation after losing a second son to a violent death.

Kevin Kenny (32) from Ballyfermot in Dublin was stabbed to death following a row outside a local pub at the weekend.

Kevin, an electrician, was on a night out with friends when he became involved in an altercation at Ruby Finnegan's pub on Sarsfield Road in Ballyfermot at around 9pm on Sunday night.

His fatal stabbing is the second tragedy to hit the Kenny family -- younger son Martin was shot dead as he slept in bed with his girlfriend in a feud-related murder in May, 2005.

Speaking to the Irish Independent at his home on O'Hogan Road in Ballyfermot yesterday, the men's father Martin said the family was still in shock.

"Kevin was out with his friends and they had a few drinks and ended up in Ruby Finnegan's.

"From what I can gather, there were some words exchanged. I still can't believe it."


Kevin was rushed to St James's Hospital with serious stab injuries but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Gardai arrested eight people, four men and four women, all aged in their 20s, and they were being questioned at garda stations across west Dublin yesterday.

Six of the suspects, including four women and two men, were released without charge last night.

However, two men remained in custody.

Kevin previously cheated death in a shooting incident in 2006 when he was in a car with Mark 'Guinea Pig' Desmond.

The two men were sitting in a car at traffic lights on Old Bawn Road in Tallaght when a motorcycle pulled up alongside and the bike passenger fired from a handgun.

Although Kevin required hospital treatment, he escaped more serious injury when the gun apparently jammed and the motorcycle sped away.

Kevin's devastated family yesterday said their son was not involved in any criminal activity but was a hard-working young man.

"He didn't deserve it. He was a hard-working kid.

"He was never in any sort of trouble in his life," said his father Martin.

He said Kevin was just enjoying himself on a night out with friends on the bank holiday weekend before he was stabbed.

A friend of Martin's heard of the attack and immediately collected the family.

Martin said: "It was around nine o'clock. I remember we jumped into the car but when we got down to the pub Kevin was already gone in the ambulance.

"We went down to the hospital but he was already unconscious."

He described his son as a "hard-working" electrician who still managed to find work despite the recession.

Kevin is also survived by his mother, Frances, his brother, Stephen, and sisters, Samantha and Karen.

Martin said that, following the murder of Martin Junior, the family never believed they would be plunged into such grief again.

"We have been through this before and it hasn't been easy.

"Kevin and Martin were like twins, they were very close. Kevin took it very bad when Martin was murdered. The two of them were inseparable when they were growing up."


Martin Jnr, a bricklayer, was staying with his girlfriend at her home on Ballyfermot Parade on the night of May 14, 2005, when a gunman wearing a balaclava burst into the bedroom and shot him once in the neck.

No one has been charged with the murder which was linked to a long-running dispute between two rival groups in the area.

Yesterday gardai had cordoned off a stretch of Sarsfield Road outside Ruby Finnegan's pub to allow for a technical examination of the scene. Garda investigators also carried out a search of an adjoining field.

Gardai appealed for any witnesses or anyone who has information on the stabbing to contact the incident room at Ballyfermot garda station.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News