News Irish News

Wednesday 13 December 2017

'Everything was destroyed' - businessman had lucky escape after blaze broke out in apartment

The scene at Bushy Park afternoon
The scene at Bushy Park afternoon
Allison Bray

Allison Bray

A businessman had a lucky escape after his apartment was destroyed by a fire that broke out while he was at work.

The man, who did not want to be identified, said that while he is relieved he wasn’t injured when a fire ripped through his apartment at Bushy Park House in Templeogue, south Dublin on Monday, everything he owned is destroyed.

“Your life, your clothes, everything was destroyed,” he told

The businessman said he has no idea what started the fire and he was adamant that it wasn’t caused by an electronics charger.

“I was away on holidays and just got back last night and everything was plugged out,” he said.

The building manager at the apartment complex beside Bushy Park, who also declined to be named, said that while everyone is devastated over the apartment owner’s loss, they are grateful it didn’t spread beyond his ground-floor apartment.

“Luckily the structure held and did what it was supposed to do,” she said.

However the fire, which is understood to have broken out in a spare bedroom, engulfed the apartment in flames very quickly after “shooting across to a full wardrobe.”

“The whole apartment was destroyed,” she said.

Fortunately no one else was affected. However, she is furious that one of the residents turned off the building’s fire alarm when it broke out shortly after 1pm yesterday.

“Someone heard the alarm but whatever eejit turned it off,” she said.

Alan Kelly, who owns an adjacent block of apartments, said he is relieved that the fire wall and other fire safeguards built into the complex worked as they were supposed to.

“We’re very happy that the structure is sound and that it didn’t go any farther,” he said.

“We’re very lucky.”

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News