Friday 22 November 2019

Elderly man arrested following suspicious death in west Cork

Tom Brady and Niall O'Connor

Gardai in west Cork are questioning a man in his 70s following the suspicious death of a 53-year-old English national who is believed to have been involved in a row.













Gardai responded to a disturbance in the Seskin area of Bantry shortly before 6pm yesterday.



While searching the area, officers discovered the body of the victim at the bottom of an embankment.



Sources have said that injuries on the body were consistent with an assault.



The victim, who had been living in the area for over a decade, was pronounced dead at the scene.



The body has been removed to Cork University Hospital where a post-mortem is due to take place later today.



A local man in his seventies was arrested shortly afterwards on suspicion of assault.



He is being questioned at Bantry station under the Criminal Justice Act, which allows gardai to detain him without charge for up to 24 hours, excluding rest periods.



Gardai said there were not many obvious marks on the body at the scene.



“At this stage we are treating his death as suspicious and we will not know exactly how he died until a post mortem examination has been carried out by the state pathologist,” a spokesman said.



Gardai believe that the man became involved in a row with two men after he had been drinking with a group of people during the afternoon.



They think he could have been punched or kicked during the incident.



Officially gardai would only say that they are investigating a suspicious death. However, sources have said that the man died of injuries sustained in a fight.





Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News