News Irish News

Sunday 18 March 2018

Elderly man (90) found wedged between sofa and chair after carers 'failed to put him to bed'

Robert Robinson
Robert Robinson

Chris McCullough

A 90-year-old man was found wedged between his sofa and a chair after carers failed to show up to put him to bed.

Robert Robinson, from Bangor, Co Down had only left hospital after spending eight weeks on a ward with fluid in his lungs.

He returned home on Wednesday with an arrangement in place that carers would visit him four times a day to help with meals and getting him to bed.

The firm involved, Conard Care, was meant to call with him at 10pm on Thursday but failed to show, after which Mr Robinson tried to get to bed alone.

However, he fell when rising from his armchair and became stuck between it and the sofa.

Luckily, Robert pressed the button on the alarm around his neck, after which his son Neil was contacted by the company at around 1.30am.

Neil, who drove to the house thinking that his dad was dead, said: "My father is independent and wanted to return home after hospital.

"We agreed a care plan with the social worker and everything was in place.

"Conard Care was supposed to call round four times per day. On Thursday night they didn't call and my dad decided to go to bed himself, but he fell, got stuck and couldn't get up.

"He's very frail and I feared the worst. I got him into bed, but he was trembling with fear. I couldn't understand what had happened, as he was clothed.

"I asked if the carers had called but he said no. I asked him why he didn't call me and he said he kept on giving the carers an extra half-hour to call.

"I am very angry. If he had not been wearing that alarm he would have been dead. An agreed rota had been drawn up that we were all happy with, but the carers failed to turn up.

"They have been very apologetic and said there was a mistake on the rota, but this should not have happened.

"My father is complaining about pains in his neck and is sore down one side.

"The incident really scared me. I met with the care company on Friday to discuss it."

Conard Care spokesman Max Wurr said the company was investigating what happened.

"We were very sorry to hear about this incident, which we are taking extremely seriously," Mr Wurr added.

"In line with our normal procedures, and in partnership with the Health and Social Care Trust, we are carrying out an urgent and thorough investigation and will report on our findings in due course.

"In the meantime, we wish Mr Robinson and his family the very best."

Belfast Telegraph

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News