Dublin Bus to push ahead with controversial cost cutting plan from November 17
Dublin Bus is to implement its €11.7m cost cutting plan on Sunday, November 17 despite Siptu drivers narrowly rejecting the proposals last week.
Siptu, which represents around half of the 2,300 drivers in the company, said it will re-ballot its drivers next week on industrial action.
While Siptu drivers already have a mandate for action after strike action last August was suspended, the union said that it wants to re-ballot because of the narrowness of last week’s vote.
Siptu drivers voted 51pc to 49pc against the company – a difference of around 20 votes. All other groups in Dublin Bus have accepted the plan including the Nbru which represents the other half of the drivers.
The company said that further industrial action at this point is “totally unnecessary”.
However, the date set by the company for implementation of the plan gives the parties over two weeks to come to an agreement.