Wednesday 21 March 2018

Dublin Bus drivers vote against strike action in dispute

Dublin Bus parked up
Dublin Bus parked up

Martin Frawley

COMMUTERS fearing further strikes at Dublin Bus got a boost, as drivers in the SIPTU union voted overwhelmingly against taking further industrial action.

The 1,300 drivers voted 72pc against taking strike action - which effectively means that after five attempts and more than a year of negotiations, they finally accepted the company’s decision to implement the €11.7m cost cutting plan from Sunday, November 17.

All other grades in Dublin Bus have accepted the plan, including another 1,200 drivers represented by the NBRU as well as other SIPTU workers in the company.

“The acceptance of the cost reduction proposals by a majority of their colleagues in previous ballots indicated to bus drivers that any strike action would not have the level of unity and support which would be required to successfully fend off the proposed cuts,” said SIPTU organiser John Murphy.

Mr Murphy said it was was a pragmatic decision on the basis that it was not a winnable dispute, but nobody was jumping up and down.

He added that increase in fares combined with the continued lowering of the state subvention, and proposals to privatise routes, are leading to the lowering of workers’ conditions of employment and damaging the transport service to the public.

“SIPTU bus drivers recognise that a united workforce, with public support, is required to successfully combat these moves,” said Mr Murphy.

Transport Minster Leo Varadkar said the ballot result “is in the best interests of the company, all of its employees and everyone who depends on their services”.

Previously, Mr Varadkar had warned that the future of the loss making company and its employees was stark, if the cost savings plan was not accepted.

Dublin Bus also welcomed the result, admitting that the last number of years have been difficult for employees who have worked together to implement a number of cost cutting and change programmes.

The company has lost €84m over the past five years, while the government subvention has been reduced from €65m this year to €60.4m for 2014.

It added however that the company has still managed to introduce various service improvements such as real time passenger information, in co-operation with its employees.

“Dublin Bus looks forward to building on these advancements to ensure the company returns to financial stability and will commence with the implementation of the plan on Sunday November 17.”

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News