News Irish News

Saturday 16 December 2017

Dublin Bus drivers reject new proposals

Dublin Bus drivers have rejected new proposals
Dublin Bus drivers have rejected new proposals

Martin Frawley

Hopes of a breakthrough in the long running Dublin Bus dispute were dashed tonight after bus drivers again rejected compromise proposals on the company’s €11.7m cost cutting plan.

Drivers in the Nbru rejected company proposals by 55pc to 45pc while Siptu members rejected them by a wider margin of 65pc to 35pc.

 

This is the third time that the company’s 2,500 drivers have rejected the company’s cost cutting proposals which cover cuts in overtime rates, premium pay as well as scheduling changes for drivers.

 

Most of the remaining 1,000 workers in Dublin Bus, including clerical, engineering and inspectors, have already accepted the company’s proposals.

 

The result has raised fears that the three strike, which stranded Dublin commuters for three days early last month, could be reignited.

 

After their second rejection last month, the driver unions said they would not take any action unless the company moved to re-impose its cost cutting plan.

 

It is understood that this remains the situation.

The company said it was “extremely disappointed” with the outcome of the drivers ballot  and said it will consider the situation in light of the ballot results before making any further comment.

 

The company said it had met last week with the drivers unions “to identify issues” that contributed to the drivers’ grade rejection of last month’s Labour Court proposals.

 

It said that it had issued the unions with proposals that addressed the drivers’ concerns but that these were once again rejected.

 

Unions and management in Irish Rail are due in the Labour Relations Commission tomorrow on its €40m cost cutting plan

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News