News Irish News

Saturday 17 March 2018

Dublin Bus drivers reject new deal

Martin Frawley

HOPES of a breakthrough in the long- running Dublin Bus dispute have been dashed after bus drivers again rejected compromise proposals on the company's €11.7m cost-cutting plan.

Drivers in the NBRU rejected company proposals by 55pc to 45pc while Siptu members rejected them by a wider margin of 65pc to 35pc.

The double rejection raises concerns that more strike action could be on the cards following a disruptive three-day action last month.

This is the third time that the company's 2,500 drivers have rejected the company's cost-cutting proposals which cover cuts in overtime rates, premium pay as well as scheduling changes for drivers.

But most of the remaining 1,000 workers in Dublin Bus, including clerical staff, engineering staff and inspectors, have already accepted the company's proposals.

After their second rejection last month, the driver unions said they would not take any action unless the company moved to re-impose its cost-cutting plan.

It is understood that this remains the situation.

The company said it was "extremely disappointed" with the outcome of the drivers' ballot.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News