News Irish News

Wednesday 24 October 2018

Donohoe welcomes 'progress' on reducing impact of Metro on GAA club

Cormac Ó Donnchú, chairman of Na Fianna, at the club’s grounds in Glasnevin, Dublin. Photo: Arthur Carron
Cormac Ó Donnchú, chairman of Na Fianna, at the club’s grounds in Glasnevin, Dublin. Photo: Arthur Carron

Kevin Doyle and Sorcha O'Connor

Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe has welcomed reports that MetroLink will not be as intrusive on Na Fianna GAA club as previously believed.

Concerns were raised when it transpired the GAA club in Dublin could temporarily lose the use of its main pitch on Mobhi Road, as well as two all-weather pitches, if the grounds were used as a tunnel boring site for the MetroLink.

Mr Donohoe said, however, that this was not a final decision and the National Transport Authority was still reviewing the situation.

"It's a very encouraging sign of progress in resolving what has been a difficult issue. The National Transport Authority always made clear that they would have a period of public consultation. They have clearly heard the concerns of the community and of the schools in relation to the site for boring," he said.

"But there are a number of other decisions that have to made. There is more work to be done and I'll continue to work with the schools, Na Fianna and the National Transport Authority to resolve this issue." 

Na Fianna chairperson Cormac Ó Donnchú emphasised that there was a "mistaken belief" that the issue had been resolved.

"There is no final decision made by TII or NTA in relation to the MetroLink project and the effects it will have on our community," he told the Irish Independent.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News