Monday 18 December 2017

Doctor vows for second time not to practise here

Breda Heffernan

A DOCTOR accused of professional misconduct has promised for the second time never to practise in Ireland again.

Dr George Dimitrov Georgiev (56) from South Africa faced six allegations of professional misconduct in relation to his handling of Dublin patient John Dunne, who died of heart failure in 2009.

The inquiry heard that Dr Georgiev had already agreed to never practice in Ireland following a separate case. No details of the earlier case emerged during the hearing.

But the latest allegations included failing to call an ambulance in a timely manner, failing to provide adequate treatment, and failing to provide adequate support to the Dunne family immediately after Mr Dunne's death.

He was also accused of acting in a rude, abrupt or derogatory manner to one or more of the Dunne family.

Dr Georgiev yesterday agreed to withdraw his registration to practice in Ireland, not to repeat the conduct complained of, to act with greater sensitivity and improve his communication in similar circumstances in the future and to be censured by the Irish Medical Council (IMC).

In return for giving these undertakings, the allegations against him were dismissed by the IMC.

Speaking afterwards, Mr Dunne's son Patrick said his family had taken the case as far as they could.


"As a family we have got justice today. It has been a long, drawn-out process," he added.

Dr Georgiev, who has 27 years' experience as a medical practitioner, began working as a locum in Ireland in 2008 and was working for Contractors Medical Bureau in Dublin. He was called to the Dunnes' home on Bluebell Road in west Dublin in the early hours of the morning of July 2, 2009.

Dr Georgiev gave his evidence via video link from Cape Town. He told the inquiry yesterday that he knew Mr Dunne was clinically dead when he attempted to resuscitate him.

An expert witness had previously given evidence that the attempt by Dr Georgiev to perform CPR while the patient was in a seated position was "futile".

Dr Georgiev said that, in such cases, he is "very aggressive".

"Maybe it was better if I didn't start anything because it was obvious he was clinically dead," he said.

The inquiry heard that Mr Dunne had a fear of doctors and hospitals and had told Dr Georgiev he did not want to be brought to hospital.

In his testimony, the doctor claimed he had told Mr Dunne's wife Elizabeth that her husband was critically ill and needed to go to hospital urgently.

He said Mrs Dunne replied that she couldn't give permission for that and she wanted to wait until her daughter Frances Magee, who lived nearby, to arrive so she could 'okay' it.

But this was denied by the Dunne family. Mrs Dunne said she had her coat on and the doctor said he was calling an ambulance.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News