Doctor airlifted off island after severe latex reaction
A doctor had to be airlifted off an island after he suffered a severe allergic reaction to the latex gloves he was wearing.
Dr Ciaran MacLoughlin, who is based in Clifden, Co Galway, had been treating patients on Inisturk Island off the coast of Co Mayo.
Dr MacLoughlin attends a clinic on the island once every three weeks.
During his visit yesterday, the doctor was treating patients at around 2pm when he suddenly took ill.
He broke out in a severe rash and his limbs went limp. However, he remained conscious throughout.
The doctor was treated on the scene by local nurse Helen Heanue, who administered an antihistamine injection.
Meanwhile, an emergency response was co-ordinated by Malin Head Coast Guard, who were on the island within 20 minutes. It also tasked the Rescue 115 helicopter , a Coastguard Sikorsky S-92 from Shannon, which was on the island within minutes.
The doctor was airlifted to University Hospital Galway in Galway city for treatment and further tests.
Locals told of their surprise at the incident. "We just couldn't believe it. No one ever expected the doctor would have to be airlifted off," one said.