Thursday 26 April 2018

Disabled still in dark over axed travel cash

Eilish O'Regan Health Correspondent

THOUSANDS of people with severe disability, who will lose essential mobility allowances to help with their travel costs in four months, have been given no clearer indication about what will replace the schemes.

Dr Ambrose McLoughlin, head of the Department of Health told an Oireachtas committee that he would have to await the findings of a review group looking at alternatives to the axed schemes.

Dr McLoughlin told the Joint Committee on Investigations, Oversight and Petitions that a review of the issues is under way to "seek a solution or solutions" within the budget available.

The review group, which has representation from disability organisations, has now been established and met last week.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News