Wednesday 22 November 2017

Developer faces rebuilding at Victorian pier

Paul Melia

Paul Melia

DEVELOPERS face being forced to rebuild a historic Victorian building which was knocked down last year to make way for a public promenade.

An Bord Pleanala yesterday said the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company was not entitled to raze the 19th century railway building and other structures on Carlisle Pier because it had not secured planning permission.

A row broke out last September after local politicians claimed the company had not made any effort to consult the public before knocking down the building.

The Carlisle Pier, which was built in 1859, was named after the Earl of Carlisle, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, and became known as the Mailboat Pier.

It was the departure point for hundreds of thousands of emigrants.

The company said its demolition plans were signalled the previous July and there was no record of any objections being raised at that time. Demolition crews began knocking down "derelict and unsafe" buildings, and legal advice was that planning permission was not required.

Heritage

But Planning Minister, and local TD, Ciaran Cuffe lodged a complaint with the planning appeals board which ruled yesterday the demolition did not constitute 'exempted development' and planning permission was required. He has now sought a meeting with the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company to urge it to rebuild the demolished railway building.

The company was not available for comment.

"Few would shed any tears for the removal of the newer 1960s building on the pier but beneath it was an old Victorian railway building that was a part of Dun Laoghaire's heritage," Mr Cuffe said.

Previous plans to develop pier failed to materialise. A 2004 €100m project from the Urban Capital consortium was shelved after local opposition.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News