| 12.9°C Dublin

Detectives quiz three people over hit and run

GARDAI investigating the hit-and-run death of student Kelly Gregan in Co Wexford at the weekend have questioned three people following more arrests yesterday.

A man in his 30s was detained when he handed himself in to gardai in Gorey on Monday.

He was released last night and a file is due to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

A woman, also in her 30s, was arrested in Gorey at 10.30am yesterday and brought to Enniscorthy garda station for questioning under section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

She is being detained in relation to the alleged withholding of information from investigators about the incident that claimed the life of Ms Gregan (20) and injured her friend Gillian Fitzgerald.

Yesterday evening, a third person was arrested for questioning. The man, who is in his mid-20s and said to be a local, was brought to Gorey garda station, where he has been detained.

The arrests were made as part of a major investigation into the incident, in which the two young women were hit by a car as they crossed the road after leaving a disco in Gorey early on Sunday morning.

Ms Fitzgerald's injuries are described as "not life- threatening". She has been told about her friend's death.

Ms Gregan, her mother Pauline and her sisters Kirstie (18) and Lorna (12) were due to attend an anniversary service on Sunday for her late father, Richard, who died in 2008.

She lived with her family in the Tara Hill area, near Inch, a few miles north of Gorey, and attended Gorey Community School before going to college in Limerick to study art.

Following the incident, which happened at about 2.30am on Sunday, a car believed to have been involved was found burnt out in Kilnahue Lane on the outskirts of the town.


The Mazda 626 was being "monitored" by gardai minutes before the incident after reports of it being driven at speed in the area.

Inspector Mick Walsh said gardai had questioned a number of people who volunteered information on the horrific crash.

Chief Supt John Roche said it was unlikely that there would be any further developments in relation to the incident until late this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the community of Inch is still trying to come to terms with the tragedy, and a steady stream of people have visited Ms Gregan's home in the past few days.

Ms Gregan's funeral Mass will take place at noon today in Tara Hill Church, and will be followed by a cremation.

Irish Independent