Friday 19 July 2019

Derek Hutch left €136,000

A garda at the Bridgeview halting site where Derek Coakley Hutch was shot dead. Photo:
A garda at the Bridgeview halting site where Derek Coakley Hutch was shot dead. Photo:
Liam Collins

Liam Collins

Murder victim Derek Hutch, who was shot dead in a gangland feud in Dublin, left an estate valued at €136,360, according to documents lodged in the Probate Office in Dublin last week.

The total value of his estate came to €150,160, but was reduced after deductions. He died intestate - leaving no will. The 27-year-old career criminal, whose address was given as Buckingham Street, Dublin, and formerly of Liberties House, Dublin, was shot dead at the Bridgeview Halting Site on Cloverhill Road, near Wheatfield Prison, on January 20 this year.

It is believed that he and two associates were in the area to throw drugs over the prison wall to another associate who was serving a prison sentence there. Derek Hutch was sitting in the car waiting for the others to return when he was shot a number of times in the head and body.

Security sources say that he was killed on the orders of another northside criminal with whom he had a dispute. Two cars involved in the murder were later found burned out in north Dublin.

His father, also Derek, who committed suicide in 2009, was a brother of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch who is currently on the run from the Kinahan crime gang. His mother is Noeleen Coakley, who is named as Noeleen Hutch in the probate documents.

According to documents lodged in the Probate Office, Derek Hutch was single, but he had entered into a civil partnership and has two surviving children from that relationship, aged eight and seven. Letters of administration were granted to his mother, the children's lawful guardian, and the money from their father's estate will be "for their use and benefit" when they reach 18 years of age.

Derek Hutch was not regarded as a significant gangland figure. In November 2017, he received a four-year sentence for his part in an attempted armed robbery but the sentence was suspended.

Sunday Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News