Sunday 19 November 2017

Defence Minister warns soldiers of further cuts

Tom Brady Security Editor

Soldiers were told last night that they faced further cuts in Defence Force resources in line with the broader public service.

Defence Minister Tony Killeen told troops they were facing stringent financial measures.

The soldiers had issued a plea to the government to be treated as a special case because of the major round of cuts that had been successfully implemented in the military in the past decade.

But Mr Killeen told Pdforra, the representative association for soldiers, sailors and aircrew, in Trim, Meath, that tough decisions were imperative and necessary if they were to chart their way to a sustainable future.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News