Monday 20 November 2017

Defective appliance found in flat where teenagers died

Health and safety experts in the North last night issued a major alert after confirming that a defective appliance had been found at a seaside apartment where two teenage boys were killed by leaking gas fumes.

Property owners in and around the North Coast were urged to switch off liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) appliances which were fitted by a company based in Coleraine, Co Derry.

Staff involved in the examination of an apartment at the neighbouring seaside town Castlerock where the two boys died last week, revealed that an appliance inside a flat at Tunnel Brae Court had not been working properly.

The alert was issued just hours after the funeral of Aaron Davidson, 18, from Newtownabbey, Co Antrim who died with his school friend Neil McFerran, 18.

They had been spending time at the apartment waiting for their A-level results.

A third teenager, Matthew McGaw, also 18, survived the leaking poisonous fumes.

The Northern Ireland health and safety executive said its gas safety team was carrying out checks at other premises in the Castlerock and Coleraine areas, and attempts were being made to contact all LPG customers who may be affected.

A statement also said that as an additional precaution, health staff were advising people who had gas work carried out in their homes or premises by George Brown, trading as George Brown of The Calor Shop in Coleraine, to switch off their gas appliances.

It is not known the number of customers who may be affected by tonight's alert but health and safety staff have set up special telephone arrangements to deal with queries over the next 48 hours. They are expecting a large volume of calls.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News