Tuesday 16 January 2018

Danger to women was let back on streets again and again

Adrian Ernest Bayley
Adrian Ernest Bayley

Norrie Ross

ADRIAN Ernest Bayley was born Adrian Ernest Matthew Edwards but changed his name in an attempt to escape from a dark past as a sexual offender.

However, while he could change his name, he couldn't change his nature.

Bayley's shocking rap sheet was presented to the Supreme Court of Victoria yesterday. It showed a man who was a constant danger to women when he walked the streets.

Jill Meagher's killer has committed more than 20 rapes. In June 1990, aged just 18, he held hostage a 16-year-old friend of his sister and raped her.

In August 1990, he attacked a 17-year-old girl who was walking home from a bus stop and attempted to rape her.

A month later, he was arrested and charged but while on bail in December of that year he picked up a 16-year-old hitchhiker and attempted to rape her.

The following year, he pleaded guilty to all three attacks and was jailed for five years with a minimum of two years.

Between 2000 and 2001, Bayley picked up and raped five prostitutes from the Melbourne suburb of St Kilda. In 2002, he admitted the crimes and was jailed for 11 years, with a minimum of eight years.

In August 2011, Bayley attacked a man in Geelong, knocking him unconscious and breaking his jaw, but he was released again on bail after appealing a three-month jail term.

Although he was on parole when he assaulted his victim, his parole was not breached.

On September 22, 2012, Bayley raped and murdered Jill Meagher while he was on parole and bail.

Bayley is due to face trial in the County Court of Victoria next year on counts of raping three other women, two of them while he was on parole and before he attacked Jill Meagher.

When he was interviewed by police about Jill Meagher's disappearance, prosecutor Gavin Silbert SC said Bayley was cocky and appeared confident that he could talk his way out of it.


Mr Silbert told the Supreme Court yesterday that as the interview progressed police drip fed the evidence they had and Bayley's demeanour changed.

They said they had CCTV footage of Jill talking to him in Sydney Road shortly before she disappeared. He denied that it was him on the footage.

They had phone records which showed that Jill's mobile phone and his mobile phone were in the same area at the same time and tollway footage of his girlfriend's car leaving the city.

A SIM card from Jill's phone was found in a washing basket in his house.

Bayley finally crumbled and confessed.

He told homicide detectives: "I'm going to jail for a long time. I hope they bring back the death penalty before I get sentenced. I have no life left."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News