Friday 24 November 2017

Dad plays down toddler's escape from creche

Luke Byrne

Luke Byrne

THE father of a young boy who escaped from a creche has played down the incident and said his son is very happy at the facility.

Little Daniel Nwoke (3) managed to leave the Beechtree Childcare Centre, on the Balgaddy Road in west Dublin on Friday morning.

He had walked half the way to his home, which is around 400 metres away in Foxdene Gardens, before he was discovered by gardai.

Officers from Ronanstown garda station had received a call at 11.10am that a boy had gone missing from the childcare centre.

The boy was found after 20 minutes walking in the general direction of his home.

When gardai arrived, Daniel's parents had discovered him and were walking him back to the facility.

Officers accompanied them the short distance back to the creche.

Daniel's father Vitus Nwoke, who is originally from Nigeria, yesterday put the incident down to the actions of an adventurous toddler.

"I don't have any problem with the school, not a single problem. They have always been very good to us.

"Daniel is very happy there. Before he went he couldn't really talk and he's talking perfectly now," Mr Nwoke told the Irish Independent.

MEETING

He said that the incident was a mistake and that the family wanted to move on.

They will meet will the management of the creche this morning to discuss what happened.

In a statement, the creche said that the youngster had gone out the main door.

It said that he managed to operate a door release button that was at a height to accommodate wheelchair users.

"Following the incident new enhanced security measures were put in place immediately on Friday and in addition we have organised additional measures over the coming days.

"This will include raising the door release button to ensure that it is out of reach of all children using the service," it added.

Daniel was said to be unaffected by his experience.

He had crossed a number of roads in the residential estate before he was discovered.

A garda spokesperson said that the boy had been found safely and that the matter has now been closed.

Local councillor Daithi de Roiste yesterday congratulated the gardai on a job well done.

Mr de Roiste also called on the creche to review security and to ensure that there is no similar incident.

"Obviously they have good staff but they have to make sure now that it doesn't happen again," he said.

The creche is a not-for-profit service that opened at its current location in 2012.

It is run by Dublin West Childcare and Learning Services and receives some government funding.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News